Dec 8, 2006

Content no longer king - They just want hype ;-(

I was recently told that several trade publications are no longer including expert “topics” in their publications as they were "no longer being submitted by members (industry experts)".

I think it is very sad when industry experts no longer feel they can compete with the “media” blitz of blogs & dribble of irrelevant information making its way into the national headlines.

If an EHS professional does not evolve their training & writing style as the industry changes the way media is presented, their programs will loose effectiveness & appeal.

From an older post (linked here)

After training people and speaking at seminars for over tens years I realize I need to constantly “evolve” my content to make it interesting and exciting to learn…

Sadly… on the internet, if it does not have a “shock” value, celebrity, eyecandy or “get rich” theme no one from the general public will read or return to read even the most important information….

So to my colleagues, educators, regulators, scientists and true environmentalists… I am sorry for the “main stream” content.

While it may personally belittle and embarrass me… helping People and the Planet is not about me, it’s about US.

So again, Thanks for putting up with the hype to find great content!"


Christopher Haase
Director of Environmental, Health & Safety