Sep 26, 2009

No love lost with google... just disenchantment in project 10^100

This week google announced the project 10^100 finalist and left me out on a ledge. I then posted my disappointment while feeling that Google failed to select any tangible or real earth shattering projects from the 10,000's submitted.

Am I being a little hard here? Yes and let me explain why...
I think it was over-hyped and I fell into it, there are so many brilliant people at google and who work on their projects. Given that, I thought this was the culmination of that brilliance into several save the world ideas.

The constant project delays only made the expectations grow to possibly unrealistic.

And the resulting ideas are 'not bad' (yes I will vote for one), but hardly the earth shattering stuff google is known for.

I love the geothermal, solar and energy initiatives they have been working on... but for me this whole thing turned into a 'feel good media campaign' I expect from MSN or a save the world celebratory party... not google.

We are often the hardest judges of the ones we love the most in this world.


I have lost no love for googles awesome web tools, alternative energy programs or open source projects that have helped raise the cumulative intellect and technology advancements of the world, just a little disenchanted by one overly hyped 'prize contest' I got sucked into.

I thought it was the 'something bigger' that google is known for.