Nov 6, 2009

Why I Am Concerned about Cell Phones - we don't know, what we don't know... and we ignore what we do.

This month Rachel's Precaution Reporter, issues a good article regarding children and cellphones. And while I have supported with Bob Parks logic and science on this one, I realize that "we don't know, what we don't know"... and when it comes to kids I err on the side of caution.

Lets say Bob's right, no problem my kids can waste 1000's of constructive hours tweeting and texting their lives into a stupified social destruction of self, thought and intelligence. I am not saying that is what has happened to a lost generation, but many experts are (Considering over 75% of this populous is not ready for college or even be considered for military service).

But, if there is a 1 in a million chance... my kids fall under my 'precautionary parental prejudice'

And while 1% of me has a slight concern about tumors from Cell Phone use... 75% of my concern is that electronic device distractions dissolve billions of dollars in productivity from our workforce than a decade ago... attributing to our growing unhire-able workforce. 23% of me is also concerned a electronic device distraction will lead to a serious injury of worse.

Considering our computers, smoke detectors, glasses, microwave, fillings,
watches, basement, toothpaste, drinking water, TV's and various consumer products, may give off hirer concentrations background radiation, it would be hard to pin it all on a cell phone.

I invest in my NRC training - Time, distance and shielding based on exposure frequencies and concentrations to keep cancerous radiation from me and my family.

As far as cellphones go, great for emergencies... but bad as a surrogate.

But hey, what do I know ;-)