Jun 27, 2011

Low-Calorie, Low-Carb Diet is Sufficient to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes,

PopSci - Patients who consumed only 600 calories a day for two months were able to reverse their Type 2 diabetes, according to a groundbreaking British study. The research, involving just 11 patients, suggests a very low-calorie diet can remove fat that clogs the pancreas, allowing normal insulin secretion to be restored, according to Newcastle University.PopSci - http://images.meredith.com/dlv/images/2008/12/ss_01.jpg

Seven of the 11 patients remained free of diabetes three months after the study, researchers said.

Type 2 diabetes, also known as adult-onset diabetes, has been thought to be a progressive, irreversible condition. Once diagnosed, some patients can control their diabetes with tablets, but many eventually require insulin injections.

One patient, 67-year-old Gordon Parmley, ate salad and vegetables and three diet shakes per day. “At first the hunger was quite severe and I had to distract myself with something else – walking the dog, playing golf – or doing anything to occupy myself and take my mind off food,” he said in a statement.

“But I lost an astounding amount of weight in a short space of time ... after six years, I no longer needed my diabetes tablets.”